This week, I started my internship with the Pretrial Services department at the Alameda County courthouse in Downtown Oakland. In my first week, I've learned and come to several realizations. I've met several public defenders(P.D.) and a few district attorneys(D.A.). The DA works for the city whereas the PD represents the defendant(charged of some sort of criminal activity). Of course the DA gets paid more than the PD as they are hired to represent the city's inhabitants. I've realized that my interest lies in the role of the PD. Yes, I would love the money that comes with being a DA, but I also understand that the DA usually argues that the defendant is a threat to the community and must therefore be incarcerated. Yes, criminals should be punished for their actions, but I find it difficult to advocate for incarceration when the majority of inmates are Black and Latino men. Blacks and Latinos aren't all crimals. It is not in their blood to defy the law. It is however evident that there is a system that filters Blacks and Latinos into lives of crime and consequently into prison. This is called the prison industrial complex. Our communities lack the education and resources necessary to succeed in society. Consequently, the minds of our young Black and Latino men are infiltrated with the belief that crime is the only option for them. There is something inherently disturbing with this idea. We have more Blacks and Latinos in prison than we do in school. Teachers constantly telling our youth they are no good and that they will never amount to anything. Of course a life of crime seems more viable to these men than having to go to school every day only for their elders to discourage them. So yes, crime should be punished, but not without first understanding the racism and inequality that perplexes our communities, my communities.
I might not make a lot of money as a PD (or something along those lines), but in this week working at the court house, I've almost fully confirmed my calling. My major is American Studies with a concentration on race and law. I did not choose this for no reason. I feel as though I need to represent those who cannot represent themselves. Advocate for those whose communities aim to displace and dispose of them. Furthermore, I've also come to the realization that if and when I do decide to go to law school, I need to move back to L.A. upon completion. My community needs me just as much as I need them. I cannot change my community if I am not part of my community.
I don't know what the future holds for me, but I only hope my services can be of benefit to those that truly need it.
No comments:
Post a Comment